[mpich-discuss] Scalability of Intel quad core (Harpertown) cluster

Elvedin Trnjanin trnja001 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 28 13:54:34 CDT 2008

You would do that within the code. If you're trying to pass every
element of an int array one at a time (message size is sizeof(int)), it
will have much worse performance than sending the entire array (message
size is sizeof(int)*arraydimensions.

Example -
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/mpi_introduction/figs/mpi_pong.c
This is a start for a decent approximation of network bandwidth and
latency for a certain message size. Although not accurate, it'll
certainly give you an idea of your network's performance with various
message sizes and transfer types. It only works on two nodes at a time
however so other types of communication like AlltoAll are not tested.