[mpich-discuss] stuck on MPI_Finalize and -mpilog

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 19 13:15:53 CDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, tsilva at coas.oregonstate.edu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a MPMD, and all the three programs were getting stuck on
> reaching MPI_Finalize. I can get it to work with minimalistic code, but when
> I build the complete components it gets stuck. Also, it seems to me that
> mpi_sends an mpi_recvs are well matched in my code.
> Not this is the gory part: when I compile the problematic program with
> -mpilog ithe job completes with no problems. I discovered this by chance and
> find it disquieting that (the lack of) a compiler option will break the code.
> Any ideas of could be happening here? I don't want the final code to use
> -mpilog

You could have either a race condition (or even memory error) in your
program.  Try putiing MPI_Barrier before MPI_Finalize and recompile your
program (without -mpilog) to see if the program finishes normally.

> some details:
> AMD
> Lahey Fortran 64bit Pro
> mpich 1.2.7p1 (p4 device)
>
> Why the mpich1? The cluster has mpich2 compiled with PGI. Because this
> compiler has a bug that conflicts with some of my code I was forced to use
> Lahey Fortran  for my project and found that I could create a local mpich1
> and use mpirun without interfering with mpich2's daemon.

Why don't you build your own version of mpich2 with Lahey Fortran
compiler?  mpich2 is more robust than mpich1, it may worth the
extra effort to get mpich2 working with your code.

A.Chan