[mpich-discuss] Why is my quad core slower than cluster

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Jul 8 14:52:19 CDT 2008

PS:

Zach:  A couple of obvious checks, besides Rajeev's important suggestion:

1) Make sure the SMP kernel is running on your home PC:
"uname -a"
(Should show "smp" as part of the string.)

2) Check if Ubuntu triggers all four cores:
"cat /proc/cpuinfo".
(Should show four "virtual" CPUs.)

Gus Correa

Rajeev Thakur wrote:

Try using the Nemesis device in MPICH2 if you aren't already. Configure with
--with-device=ch3:nemesis.

Rajeev