[mpich-discuss] Why is my quad core slower than cluster

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Jul 8 14:35:11 CDT 2008

Hello  Zach and list

 From all that I've observed on dual-processor dual-core PCs,
and from all that I've read on the web about dual-processor quad-core
machines,
your results are not alarming, but typical.
I was as disappointed as you are, when I saw my speedup results.
A lot of people out there had the same frustration too.

My benchmarks using a standard climate atmospheric model (NCAR CAM3) on
a dual-processor dual-core Xeon workstation showed a speedup factor of 3
(not 4),
when I moved from one core to four cores.
Likewise for a dual-processor dual-core Opteron workstation,
I've got a speedup factor slightly below 3.5.
(Better than Xeon, but still not 4).

The problem seems to get worse with quad-cores, again with the Opterons
slightly ahead of the game.
Memory/bus contention has been mentioned as the culprit by a lot of people.
One core in a multicore doesn't scale as one (single-core) CPU.

You will find plenty of references to this problem on the web and on
many mailing lists:
here in the MPICH list, on the Rocks Cluster list, on the MITgcm list,
etc, etc.

I hope it heals (as helping it cannot)
Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA
Oceanography Bldg., Rm. 103-D, ph. (845) 365-8911, fax (845) 365-8736