[mpich-discuss] messages queue

Jarosław Bułat kwant at agh.edu.pl
Thu Jul 3 07:57:09 CDT 2008

Hi All!

I found the following problem using MPICH2 (1.0.6 and 1.0.7 with sock
and nemesis channel). There are 5 unique process which interchange
messages by means of MPI_Send() and MPI_Irecv() + MPI_Waitany() or
MPI_Testany(). Since the MPI_Send() doesn't wait until receiver receive
message and process it, it is possible to see a queue of messages
waiting for processing at the receiver.  In such a situation my sender
proces is crashing during calling MPI_Send() function.  Queue of
unprocessed messages is of the length of ~100 messages of the length 100
Bytes each.
I cannot use MPI_Ssend() which resolve this problem because in this way
my system is less responsive.

How can I control length of queue?
Is it possible to allocate more memory for internal MPI buffer?

Regards,
Jarek!