[MPICH] Confused about compiling/using mpich2

Gaetano Bellanca gaetano.bellanca at unife.it
Thu Jan 10 18:37:06 CST 2008

Hi,
sorry  for the delay in answering. I made some tests.

I'm using 'module' to set the environment. Therefore, I'm rather sure
that when I'm using mpich, everything of mpich2 is not used and
vice-versa (I have incompatibilities declared in the module loading
procedures).

But it is true what you said! When I run the code compiled with
mpich2 with mpirun of mpich (mpirun -n 2 ), the code run but not with
2 processes. The only way I have to run 2 processes without any error
is compiling with mpich1.2.7p1 and running it with mpirun of this
version. In this case, I have 2 processes running!

Both mpirun and mpiexec of mpich2 causes the code to die when trying
to do a simple MPI_SEND and MPI_RECV.
Then, I changed my way of using mpd. Before I used a ring started by
root at boot. Now, using mpd from my user, I don't have a crash of
the code, but it waits undefinitely during the MPI_SEND and MPI_RECV
procedures.

Maybe I'm wrong in something relevant to the use of mpich2 on a
single machine with dual core. There is something that I have not understood.

Unfortunately, I don't have my cluster (10 single core single
processors) available at this moment. I'm running on a single machine
with dual core athlon (ubuntu linux 7.10).
I cannot say anything about a simulation on a real cluster, for the moment.

Regards.

Gaetano

mailto:gaetano.bellanca at unife.it