[MPICH] Tracing the mpich library with gdb and xtern

Ashley Pittman apittman at concurrent-thinking.com
Thu Jan 3 08:28:39 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 18:58 +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
> @Ashley :
> >It sounds like you set DISPLAY before sshing to the remote machine,
> you
> should run ssh without the -x flag (although it won't do any harm) and
> set DISPLAY on the machine where you issue the mpirun.
>       Setting the DISPLAY to localhost:0.0 on the  local node and not
> altering the DISPLAY on the remote node,  fails to open the window on
> either machine.
>
>       Please help me get past this

Setting it to localhost will try and make the window appear on the
machine which is running the xterm, you want to set it to your ip
address or hostname.

Furthermore running X over the network like this (as opposed to ssh
forwarding) is insecure so many distributions set the "-nolisten tcp"
option when starting the X server, you may have to edit the startup
script of X to remove this, on my system this means
editing /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and commenting out the line "DisallowTCP=true"

Ashley,