[MPICH] Loopback Communication

Elvedin Trnjanin trnja001 at umn.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:37:22 CST 2008

I have a "ping pong" latency and bandwidth measurement program that I'm
using for approximating performance of an Infiniband cluster. I've
noticed that for self to self asynchronous communication with
mpirun_ssh, to transfer a 1MB message, it takes around 3.2 ms while with
node A to node B communication, the latency is around 2.9 ms per 1MB
message. On the bandwidth side, self to self communication is 60MB/s
slower. Although 60MB/s difference might not seem like a significant
problem considering the total bandwidth for the larger message
Infiniband transfers, on a small Gigabit Ethernet cluster I use, our
node to node asynchronous communication bandwidth is slightly less than
60MB/s. That difference is pretty significant to me.

My question is if anyone can explain why self to self communication is
slower and also why the interconnect is involved instead of doing a
memory copy? I apologize ahead of time if this issue has been discussed
in the MPI2 standards but I'm reading the (unofficial) report and
haven't found it yet.

Regards,
Elvedin Trnjanin