[MPICH] Problem setting up MPICH between a 32 bit INTEL and a 32 bit AMD machine

Krishna Chaitanya kris.c1986 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:30:48 CST 2008

Hi,
          Turns out that the settings in the /etc/hosts file on the AMD
machine was incorrect. So, mpdcheck -v -f mpd.hosts gives this :

AMD machine : ( outwit )
kc at outwit:~$ mpdcheck -v -f mpd.hosts
obtaining hostname via gethostname and getfqdn
gethostname gives  outwit
getfqdn gives  outwit.nitk.ac.in
checking out unqualified hostname; make sure is not "localhost", etc.
checking out qualified hostname; make sure is not "localhost", etc.
obtain IP addrs via qualified and unqualified hostnames;  make sure other
than 127.0.0.1
gethostbyname_ex:  ('outwit.nitk.ac.in', ['outwit'], ['172.16.54.54'])
gethostbyname_ex:  ('outwit.nitk.ac.in', ['outwit'], ['172.16.54.54'])
checking that IP addrs resolve to same host
now do some gethostbyaddr and gethostbyname_ex for machines in hosts file
checking gethostbyXXX for unqualified zeus
gethostbyname_ex:  ('zeus', [], ['172.16.54.71'])
checking gethostbyXXX for qualified zeus
gethostbyname_ex:  ('zeus', [], ['172.16.54.71'])

INTEL machine ( zeus )
kris.c1986 at zeus ~]$ mpdcheck -v -f mpd.hosts
obtaining hostname via gethostname and getfqdn
gethostname gives  zeus
getfqdn gives  zeus.nitk.ac.in
checking out unqualified hostname; make sure is not "localhost", etc.
checking out qualified hostname; make sure is not "localhost", etc.
obtain IP addrs via qualified and unqualified hostnames;  make sure other
than 127.0.0.1
gethostbyname_ex:  ('zeus.nitk.ac.in', ['zeus'], ['172.16.54.71'])
gethostbyname_ex:  ('zeus.nitk.ac.in', ['zeus'], ['172.16.54.71'])
checking that IP addrs resolve to same host
now do some gethostbyaddr and gethostbyname_ex for machines in hosts file
checking gethostbyXXX for unqualified outwit
gethostbyname_ex:  ('outwit', [], ['172.16.54.54'])
checking gethostbyXXX for qualified outwit
gethostbyname_ex:  ('outwit', [], ['172.16.54.54'])

               Seems to be ok. But I still get this error when I try
mpdcheck -c on the AMD comp :
kc at outwit:~$ mpdcheck -c zeus 33737
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kc/mpich-install/bin/mpdcheck", line 103, in <module>
    sock.connect((argv[argidx+1],int(argv[argidx+2])))  # note double parens
  File "<string>", line 1, in connect
socket.error: (113, 'No route to host')

           The two machines are able to see each other on the network. Cant
exaplain why it complains that there is "No route to host"

Krishna Chaitanya K