[MPICH] two quick questions about MPICH2 on windows

Richard Li xs_li at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:14:06 CST 2008

Thanks a lot.

From: jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
To: xs_li at hotmail.com
CC: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: RE: [MPICH] two quick questions about MPICH2 on windows
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:10:18 -0600

Hi,

>> a) We want to increase the
number of windows machines to run our MPICH2 application and some of the new
machines are in a different country. Do all windows machines have to
be
>> in the same windows domain in order to run the MPI
App?
        You
don't need all the windows machines to be in the same domain to run your
MPI application. However you must make sure that all the machines have a
local user with the same username+password . You can register, say user 2, using
mpiexec (mpiexec -register -user 2) and use that user to run your MPI app
(mpiexec -user 2 -n 10 myapp.exe).

>> b) Is there a tool to monitor our MPI APP and check the
status of all the machines without login to each one of them? Something we can
run from a single machine.
        There is no tool currently to monitor the status of MPI apps
(Although we have plans for the same). You can check the status of the process
manager, smpd, from any machine by specifying the hostname as part of the
"-status" option of smpd (smpd -status hostname). This command will let you know
if PM/smpd is running on the host.

  Let us know if you need further information.

Regards,
Jayesh

I have two quick questions regarding MPICH2
windows version:

a) We want to increase the number of windows machines to
run our MPICH2 application and some of the new machines are in a different
country. Do all windows machines have to be
in the same windows domain in
order to run the MPI App?
b) Is there a tool to monitor our MPI APP and check
the status of all the machines without login to each one of them? Something we
can run from a single machine.

Thanks

Richard

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix". Check it
out.