[MPICH] two quick questions about MPICH2 on windows

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 12 14:10:18 CST 2008

Hi,

>> a) We want to increase the number of windows machines to run our MPICH2
application and some of the new machines are in a different country. Do all
windows machines have to be
>> in the same windows domain in order to run the MPI App?
        You don't need all the windows machines to be in the same domain to
run your MPI application. However you must make sure that all the machines
have a local user with the same username+password . You can register, say
user 2, using mpiexec (mpiexec -register -user 2) and use that user to run
your MPI app (mpiexec -user 2 -n 10 myapp.exe).

>> b) Is there a tool to monitor our MPI APP and check the status of all the
machines without login to each one of them? Something we can run from a
single machine.
        There is no tool currently to monitor the status of MPI apps
(Although we have plans for the same). You can check the status of the
process manager, smpd, from any machine by specifying the hostname as part
of the "-status" option of smpd (smpd -status hostname). This command will
let you know if PM/smpd is running on the host.

  Let us know if you need further information.

Regards,
Jayesh

  _____

I have two quick questions regarding MPICH2 windows version:

a) We want to increase the number of windows machines to run our MPICH2
application and some of the new machines are in a different country. Do all
windows machines have to be
in the same windows domain in order to run the MPI App?
b) Is there a tool to monitor our MPI APP and check the status of all the
machines without login to each one of them? Something we can run from a
single machine.

Thanks

Richard

  _____

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailR-get your
"fix". Check it  <http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx> out.