[MPICH] MPICH2 with mumps error in a call to MPI_Bcast (INVALID DATATYPE,Invalid communicator)

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 7 08:58:07 CST 2008

The value of the communicator indicates that MUMPS was probably
compiled with the wrong mpi.h - the value of MPI_COMM_WORLD is very
different from 0x5b.  Make sure that your include path selects the
MPICH2 include directory.

Bill

On Feb 7, 2008, at 7:44 AM, Tunc Bahcecioglu wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to make MUMPS run with MPICH2. I send a mail to MUMPS
> mailing list but couldn't get an answer.
>
> MPI stops and gives the following error message after a cal to
> MPI_BCAST
>
> Here NRHS is 0 and COMM is MPI_COMM_WORLD (I don't know if running
> the program with mpiexec changes these parameters but the error
> message does not change.)
> CALL
>
> MPI_BCAST(NRHS,1,MPI_INTEGER,0,mumps_par%COMM,IERR)
> job aborted:
> process: node: exit code: error message:
> 0: localhost: 1: Fatal error in MPI_Bcast: Invalid communicator,
> error stack:
> MPI_Bcast(784): MPI_Bcast(buf=0012FA08, count=1, INVALID DATATYPE,
> root=0, comm=
> 0x5b) failed
> MPI_Bcast(700): Invalid communicator
> I am using Intel FORTRAN and C++ compilers v10, VSNET2003, and I am
> running on a dual core Vista machine.
>
> Any idea about the error message or what I may be doing wrong?
>
> The main code I am trying is an example from mumps so I don't think
> the error is in the code by the way.

William Gropp
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign