[mpich-discuss] modifying the round-robin

Ralph Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Thu Dec 11 12:08:11 CST 2008

With the correct set of cmd-line options, you can accomplish lots of
scenarios.  But, it may make for some
long cmd lines.  I have a set of machines named bp400-bp415 in an mpd
ring.  I can use the -machinefile
option to mpiexec to map processes to hosts.  For example, below is a
demo where I want to run 4 processes
and I want the first 2 to run on bp402 and the next 2 to run on bp404.
--ralph

(bp400:56)% cat tempmf
bp402:2
bp404:2
(bp400:57)% mpiexec -l -machinefile tempmf -n 4 hostname   |   sort
0: bp402
1: bp402
2: bp404
3: bp404

On ThuDec 11, at Thu Dec 11 6:41AM, Benjamin Svetitsky wrote:

> Thanks, the -1 option indeed gets all 4 processes to run on nodeB.
> But then if I start another -n 4 job, it goes to nodeB as well.  Is
> there a way to get mpd to do load balancing here (namely to send all
> 4 to the next node in line) without specifying the node in the
> mpiexec command?
>
> 		Ben
>
> Rajeev Thakur wrote:
>> Since you are running from node C, MPD will place the first process
>> on node
>> C by default. You can turn that feature off with the "-1" option to
>> mpiexec.
>> Rajeev

>>> nodeB:4
>>> nodeC:4