[mpich-discuss] [mpich2-announce] Announcing the availability of MPICH2-1.1a2

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 4 18:12:47 CST 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 2:18 PM, Joe Ratterman wrote:

> Thanks,  it sounds like things are under control.
>
> I got to running the tests, and hit three problems there so far
>
> 1)
> This is the smallest but most clearly wrong code.  I was failing the
> test/mpi/init/initstat.c test because MPI_Init_thread() and
> MPI_Query_thread() were returning different provided levels.
[...snip...]

I've filed ticket #320 for this: https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/320

> 2)
> I had to completely gut MPIU_Find_local_and_external() (same file as
> problem 2 before) because this generic code didn't know as much
> about the BG/P topology as it thought.  It is running now that intra-
> comms work.  I return a generic non-fatal error and the comm utils
> seem fine with it. int MPIU_Find_local_and_external(MPID_Comm *comm,
> int *local_size_p, int *local_rank_p, int **local_ranks_p,
>                                  int *external_size_p, int
> *external_rank_p, int **external_ranks_p,
>                                  int **intranode_table_p, int
> **internode_table_p)
> {
>     return MPI_ERR_UNKNOWN;
> }

I've changed this in a way that should be more palatable to you guys.
Take a look at r3629 and let me know if that will work for you: https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/3629

It needs a bit more testing before I'd be comfortable releasing it,
but it does pass the mpich2 test suite at least.

> 3)
> I noticed that we got a hang because the build didn't pick up or
> custom CS_ENTER/EXIT macros.  It looks like the "threaded" branch
> code for the macros is in this alpha release?  I added some code to
> use MPID_DEFINES_MPID_CS to once-again allow a device to use custom
> macros.  Unlike my "work" in the threaded branch, it is much more
> exacting.  I will send these changes as a (git) patch in case you
> are interested.  It can usually be applied using "patch -p1".

I'll see if I can get this applied within the coming week.  Thanks for
the patch.

-Dave