[mpich-discuss] FW: Issue running more than one job using MPICH2

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 18 11:13:38 CDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:13:24 +0200
From: "Volker Amedick" <vasc at gmx.net>
Subject: Issue running more than one job using MPICH2
To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov

Hi,

I am new to MPICH and run into an issue when launching more than one program
in an MPICH2 environment. Here is what I did:
o I start a ring of mpds using 'mpdboot -f fileWithHosts -n # -r rsh'.
o Then I launch the program using 'mpiexec -machinefile fileWithMachines -n
# prog.x'
This works perfect.
o When I now start another ring of mpds to launch a 2nd instance of prog.x,
the mpds of the 1st ring disappear causing the 1st job to stop.

So, the question I have is how can I run 2 instances of prog.x at the same
time?
The cenario in more detail: I am sitting at host A and want to launch prog.x
the 1st instance on hosts B and C, the 2nd instance on D and E. Currently I
start a 1st ring of mpds on host A,B,C, then a 2nd on A,D,E (I encountered
that the local host A always need to be part of the ring).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Volker

MPICH2 version 1.0.6 (installed Jan. 08)
OS: RedHat Enterprise WS4 U6 (same on all machines)
--
GMX Kostenlose Spiele: Einfach online spielen und Spaß haben mit Pastry
Passion!