[MPICH] MPI_Bcast hangs in Windows XP

Richard Li xs_li at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:21:24 CDT 2007

Hi
there,

I am writing an
application in Windows XP/VC8 and am having problem with MPI_Bcast(). I am
working in corporate environment and suspect it may have something to do with
our security policies, however, I don't know exact which low-level operations
failed .

Here is the symptom:
my application (as well as cpi.exe example) works fine as long as there is only one
machine in the machine file, whether its local machine or remote does not
matter. It hangs at MPI_Bcast() when I have more than one machine in
MPI_COMM_WORLD. I am using mpich2-1.0.5p2-win32-ia32.msi.

The same application
worked perfectly a year ago and there have been many security policy changes
since that time(as usual, all policies reduce our freedom). My question is that
what's the communication mechanism used in inter-node communication. I tried
nothing, auto, sock, ssm as communication channels and had no
luck.

Thanks for your
help.

Richard