[MPICH] memory barriers inside ch3shm

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 31 09:40:27 CDT 2007

The fence operations are there to order load and store operations.
Processors can reorder instructions which means that loads and stores
may not occur in program order when "viewed" by another processor.
These operations are there to force an ordering.

The sfence operation ensures that all stores prior to the operation
complete before any stores after it, lfence ensures that all loads
before the operation complete before any loads after it, and mfence
ensures that all loads and stores before the operation complete before
any loads and stores after it.

-d