[MPICH] Bug in rings test of the MPI Intel Test suite ?

Sylvain Jeaugey sylvain.jeaugey at bull.net
Thu Oct 4 10:46:30 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I think I just found a bug in the "rings" test of the Intel Test Suite. I
didn't find a dedicated mailing list, so I'm posting here.

At line 231 of node.c, we call :
    ierr = MPI_Bcast(&seed, 1, MPI_LONG, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD);

However, seed is an "int". On itanium, sizeof(long) is 8 whereas
sizeof(int) is 4. This causes the Bcast of seed as well as .... the lower
4 bytes of the rings pointer. In my case, process 0 and process 1 don't
have the same pointer for rings, hence causing quickly a segmentation
fault.

I changed the type to MPI_INTEGER :
    ierr = MPI_Bcast(&seed, 1, MPI_INTEGER, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
and everything works fine.

Sylvain