[MPICH] Loading mpich2 onto linux cluster clients.

Jean-Marc Saffroy saffroy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 20:07:26 CDT 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Matthew Chambers wrote:

> I've found the easiest way is to install the MPICH2 binaries in a
> cluster-wide shared directory. There are some RPMs, but they are not
> kept up to date with new distro releases.

>From my experience, it's still nice for sysadmins to be able to use
packages instead of dropping files in a directory (eg. rpm can tell you
when the package was built, installed, what it contains, etc), even if
it's only on one node. RPMs are easy to install, reinstall, remove,
update, etc.

Attached is a small script I wrote to automatically package software that
didn't come with a spec file. Typical use:

$ cd foo-0.1
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ make install prefix=/tmp/foo-0.1/usr
$ mkrpm.sh
usage: mkrpm.sh [options] /path/to/<package>-<version>
         -p <package name>       specify rpm package name
         -v <package version>    specify rpm package version
         -r <package release>    specify rpm package release
         -k                      package is a kernel
         -d <file>               package description
$ mkrpm.sh /tmp/foo-0.1

(The script can deduce the name and version from the directory name.)

Of course it needs a suitable environment for building RPMs.
Not tested with MPICH, but it should work just as above.

Cheers,

saffroy at gmail.com