[MPICH] debug flag

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 25 17:48:26 CDT 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 05:35:16PM -0500, Wei-keng Liao wrote:
> I can see from adio/common/malloc.c that if malloc(), calloc(), or
> realloc() fails, an error message "Out of memory in file ..." will be
> printed and MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) called. But, I did not see the
> "Out of memory" in my error message.
>
> If the MPICH2 is not configured with --enable-g=dbg, will
>   FPRINTF(stderr, "Out of memory in file %s, line %d\n", fname, lineno);
> be seen?

You're right... FPRINTF is always defined to 'fprintf', no matter what
compiler options are used.

> I have sent email to the system and ask what options were used for that
> build of MPICH2-1.0.2.

1.0.2 is pretty old, but I don't see any changes in the last 2 years
that explicitly address a segfault in this code.

> If it was built without option --enable-g=dbg, what debug flags I can use
> to get as much error info from MPICH as possible?

I'll have to defer to others for what MPICH2 logging options are
available at runtime.

Even though it will be a bit of a hassle for your site's admin, I
don't think we're going to be able to debug this without debugging
symbols.

==rob

--
Rob Latham