[MPICH] MPICH use in an AFS + K5 environment.

Rusty Lusk lusk at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 29 15:01:59 CDT 2007

There is no fundamental reason why ssh is required for starting the
mpd's.   They can be started "by hand" on each machine, for example,
as described in the Installation and User's Guides, or in any
specially-designed way that will work on your environment.   You (or
some software) starts one, ask it for the port where it is listening
(or you tell it the port), then the others are started (in some way)
and told where (host, port) to contact the first one (or any other
existing one).  The new mpd's enter the ring of existing mpd's with
accept/connect.  The script mpdboot carries this out via ssh, but if
you want to do it some other way, then there is nothing in the mpd
code to prevent it.

Rusty Lusk