[MPICH] striping_unit Hint Question

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 9 15:40:07 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 12:53:47PM -0500, Weikuan Yu wrote:
> I assume PVFS/PVFS2 stripe to all IO servers by default, is that right?

That's right.

> Any pointer to a guide on PVFS2 striping usage? I only found one on
> PVFS-user-guide.
> http://www.parl.clemson.edu/pvfs/user-guide.html

We don't have too much, but here's a little more information:
http://www.pvfs.org/pvfs2-faq.html#sec:dir_tuning

Do you mean information like "what is the optimial striping to use" ?
We do have some general rules of thumb.  Use one server for small
files.  Use all the servers for large files.  If your workload falls
in between, you'll have to experiment to find the "best" setting.  And
when you find it you should let us know :>

I'm happy to talk more about PVFS, but we should have any further
discussion on the pvfs2-users at beowulf-underground.org mailing list.

==rob

--
Rob Latham