[MPICH] mpich2 with MatLab R2007b

peter_raeth at juno.com peter_raeth at juno.com
Wed Dec 19 11:03:20 CST 2007

On our Windows desktops we are running MatLab R2007b. With that version, we seem to have lost a significant capability. Let me explain.  Under R2007a it was possible to successfully run the following DOS command:mpiexec -l -exitcodes -localroot -pwdfile MPI_Options.txt -n 2 -machinefile MPI_MachineList.txt "C:\Program_Files\Matlab\bin\matlab.bat" -check_malloc Since one machine was listed in the machinefile and told to run two processes, two MatLab IDE instances appeared. Through manual activity, we could step through the codes running as supervisor and worker processes. It was a wonderful debugging and demonstration capability. mpiexec terminated normally once the codes completed and the IDEs were ended. Under R2007b, MathWorks eliminated the bat file in favor of an exe file. Now, when the equivalent DOS command is run, mpiexec terminates immediately. Yet, the two IDE instances come up. However, they are not running within the cluster communications universe. This appears to be because matlab.exe is just causing the real matlab executable to be run. My question: Is there a way to retain the capability we enjoyed under R2007a? Is there some flag we can set for R2007b?  Although a bat file appears in the R2007b bin directory, the bat file is deprecated. Plus, it does not enable the capability we enjoyed under R2007a. Many thanks for whatever insights you can offer.  Best, Peter.