[MPICH] mpiexec -machinefile option in 1.0.6

Vlad Branzoi vbranzoi at sarnoff.com
Mon Dec 10 16:13:58 CST 2007

Hi Jayesh,

Thanks a lot for the response.  Here're the results of your suggestions and
some of my own testing:

mf.txt:

hosta:1
hostb:2

- mpiexec -l -machinefile mf.txt -n 3 cpi.exe

This works fine starting 1 client on hosta and 2 clients on hostb

- mpiexec -l -machinefile mf.txt -n 1 cpi.exe : -n 2 cpi.exe

This starts all of them on hosta (localhost)

- mpiexec -l -machinefile mf.txt -n 1 cpi.exe : -machinefile mf.txt -n 2
cpi.exe

This will start 2 on hosta and 1 on hostb.  Apparently the second
incantation of machinefile makes it start from the beginning again.

SO, through this insight I split up the machine file into 2 separate machine
files as such:

mf1.txt:

hosta:1

mf2.txt:

hostb:2

And then ran the following mpiexec command:

- mpiexec -l -machinefile mf1.txt -n 1 cpi.exe : -machinefile mf2.txt -n 2
cpi.exe

This ran correctly 1 instance on hosta and 2 instances on hostb.

Not sure if this was the intended way -machinefile is supposed to work now
but now that I know it's fine with me :)

Thanks a lot for your help,
Vlad