[MPICH] MPICH2 status on heterogeneousness support

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 19 09:53:14 CDT 2006

Yes, that's what we're planning on.  MPICH1 could use XDR, which did
allow for support of non IEEE systems (still plentiful when MPICH1
was started).  For the first cut, we're planning on only 32/64 and
different MSB/LSB orderings, though the implementation will make it
relatively easy to add others as necessary.

Bill

On Oct 19, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Matthew Chambers wrote:

> I hope there are plans to at least support differing type sizes (32
> bit, 64
> bit, possibly 16 bit interoperability) and differing byte orders
> (little
> endian and big endian).  Did MPICH1 support different floating point
> representations (other than IEEE)?  The 16 bit support and the
> different
> floating point representations are insubstantial issues I think,
> and I'm not
> aware of any other types of heterogeneousness in workstation networks.
>
> -Matt Chambers

>>> for heterogeneous.