[MPICH] MPICH on Different system Cluster

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 30 13:31:57 CST 2006

 Hi,
  You can configure SMPD as the process manager in unix and have MPI programs span across linux and windows systems. (Please note that MPICH2 does not support heterogeneous systems i.e, with respect to the architecture of the systems)
  The windows system can specify the ip addresses of the systems (unix or/and windows systems) where the MPI program has to be executed in a text file and pass it to the mpiexec command via the "-machinefile" argument. You can specify both unix and windows filenames/paths in the "-path" argument to mpiexec command.
  Consider

1) machine A  - windows system (manager node)
2) machine B  - unix system    - with the executable, hellow, at /home/user  - ipaddress 192.128.1.1 (compute node)

  To run your MPI program on machine B, using machine A as the manage node perform the following steps,

1)  Create a text file, machineFile.txt, containing the ipaddress, 192.128.1.1, of the compute node/s.
2)  You can type the following command at the windows command prompt (in your windows manage node) to execute your program (with 2 procs) on the unix node,

       mpiexec -path "/home/user" -machinefile machineFile.txt -n 2 hellow

  You can also run your MPI processes spanning windows and linux systems.

  Please refer the MPICH2 user's guide (available at http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/) for more information on the options available for mpiexec.

Regards,
Jayesh

 Jayesh Krishna