AW: [MPICH] Clog->Slog2 - can't use single events?

Kilian Timmler kilian.timmler at signalion.com
Fri May 19 02:36:43 CDT 2006

Hi,

I'm not using any code from MPE for logging since I just wanted to convert
my own file
to CLOG. I actually tried using what is in mpe-1.9.1/src since it would have
been easy to
change, but I had problems with it, so I wrote a simple converter from the
information I
could get about the file format from slog2sdk and mpe-1.9.1 and fpilog.clog.
That worked
out well enough.

> The
> old MPE logging in MPICH1 has not been updated for few years. All our
> effort is currently in MPE2 which is shipped with MPICH2.  MPE2 does
> provide user-defined logging API to define/log "single
> timestamp" event.
> MPE2 logging generates CLOG2 format which is more efficient than CLOG.

That sounds reassuring - I'll switch.

I have seen that one can switch MPI off in MPE, does that allow me to
generate
trace information for just one node, and do I have to deal with merging
logdata at all?

If I just want to go ahead and improve my simple converter, I have to adjust
it for
CLOG2. From what I have seen the CLOG2 format requires a peamble of length
1024 bytes,
is it always 1024 bytes long?

Currently (with CLOG) I'm just writing down headers and records and make
sure that the
file is 65536 bytes long. I have to define some states and must place an end
of
block/file header at the end of my log data the rest is zeros.

I don't really understand how to use blocks especially if the file size is
larger, is this of any
importance or can I just place an arbitrary number of header/record pairs
into the file
now (with CLOG2) and finish it of with an end of file header?

> You can download the latest MPE2 from http://www.mcs.anl.gov/perfvis.
> For sample programs to define/log single timestamp event, e.g. see
> mpe2/src/wrappers/test/cpilog.c.  You may also want to check
> the manpages
> for the newer MPE logging functions.
>
> A.Chan

I'm tempted to just use MPE on the DSP but I fear that it has some
considerable overhead
(memory wise too). Also we will probably never have MPI on the DSPs/FPGAs
and the merging of log data will
have to happen somehow outside the cluster. For that reason I'm mainly
interested in using jumpshot, anything else I may have to do myself.

Thank you for your help,

Kilian