[MPICH] MPICH_PORT_RANGE environment variable

Martin Schwinzerl martin.schwinzerl at stud.uni-graz.at
Wed Jul 5 08:48:33 CDT 2006

Dear all,

I've still problems / open questions regarding the usage of the
MPICH_PORT_RANGE variable
and would be very thankful if somebody here could again try to help me :

As discussed earlier
(http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/mpich-discuss/2006/06/msg00026.html),
I've so far not succeeded to limit the port range of mpd et al by
storing the desired port range into an env. variable
(cf example below).

my open questions :
----------------------------

Since Ralph Butler was able to use the mpd sucessfully with the
MPICH_PORT_RANGE variable,
I would like to ask, if this was achieved using the developer version
from CVS, or the "public" version 1.0.3 ?

Is the MPICH_PORT_RANGE variable sensitive to other enviroment variables
(MPIEXEC_PORTRANGE ?)
or other enviromental influences, so that there might be an interference ?

example :
----------------------------

mas at thph037214:~> export MPICH_PORT_RANGE=8100:8200
mas at thph037214:~> echo $MPICH_PORT_RANGE
8100:8200
mas at thph037214:~> mpd --echo &
[1] 31058
mas at thph037214:~> 1047
1047

mas at thph037214:~> mpdallexit
[1]+  Done                    mpd --echo

System information :

mpich2-1.0.3 , Compiled with Intel's icc 9.0 or gcc 4.x (aboves example
is reproducible with both of them), compiled with f77,f90 and c++ bindings,
python 2.4.1,  network consists at the moment for testing purposes of two
OpenSuSE 10.1 powered 32 Bit Pentium4 class computers.

Many thanks in advance !

 Best regards
 Martin