[MPICH] Semantic question re: one-sided communications

David Minor david-m at orbotech.com
Tue Feb 7 08:38:39 CST 2006

I'm planning an addition to my system using one sided communications.

Each process will asynchronously be putting data into windows on other
processes.

This data requires no synchronization or ordering, each process will
only read the latest data in

It's local memory and put data into other processes memory whenever it
desires to. There are no global communications, one process can put to
none or all of the other processes and it doesn't matter if one of them
reads the new data before the other.

The question is, do I still need to use a fence?

If so, is one fence at the beginning and one at the end of each session
enough?

Are there any issues re: reading the local data I need to be aware of?
(such as do I need to issue a fence before each local read).

Do I need to issue the same number of fences on each process in the
communicator?

Thanks,

David Minor