[MPICH] MPICH2 hangs on diskless SuSE 10.2 based cluster

Shaun Qualheim shaun at c-think.com
Tue Dec 19 19:03:41 CST 2006

Hey everyone...

I'm trying to figure out why I'm having an issue with running a job on
multiple machines here.

It worked fine with a 32-bit SuSE 9.3 based setup.

I started it up with a 64-bit base distro and kernel...

I can start up the process with:
mpd &; mpiexec -n 2 process &
and it starts with no issues...

When I try doing that with 2 machines though...
mpdboot -n 2 &; mpiexec -n 2 process &
It hangs for about 5 minutes and then starts up.

After it starts up and runs to completion, I can issue the same command
again and it starts up right away.

Any ideas of where to start here or what might be causing this issue?

Thanks!
Shaun