[MPICH] mpi process and resource consumption question.

chong tan chong_guan_tan at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 19:38:21 CDT 2006

say I starts my MPI ring :

mpiexec -n 1 prog param1 : -n 9 prog param-others

so there are 9 identical process running.  From
profiling, top and ps, it comes to me that the master
process is the one with the largest process id in
Linux.  Say the process ID of master is 1234, there is
a situation that someone maybe able to enlighten me:
process 1233 is always eats up 20-25% more resource
and time than the rest.  Given that the slaves are
identical processes, to the point that at sync point,
their images are identical, I expect to see no more
than a few percent difference in term of CPU
utilization or resources.

any idea ?  I like to solve this '25% performance
vaporization' mystery.  BTW, there is more than enough
memory for all processes to run on the box.

thanks

tan