[MPICH] MPD caused major system throughput degration, Redhat ES 4, U2

chong tan chong_guan_tan at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 12:10:39 CDT 2006

I am using 1.0.3.  the situation is very inteesting in
that it only happened on Linux.  the box ran Solaris
10 for a while, and I have never seen that behavior.

Secondly, I just rebooted the box, and the problem has
not show up after 24 hr.

In my opinion, the problem is wacky, in that :
  -  the application showing the throughput degration
did not use MPI at all.
  -  there are 2 CPU, with 2 core each on the system,
there should be rather minor hit as CPU is always
there to run mpd.
  -  240 second out of 620 hit with mpd running is way
too much.

tan