[MPICH] MPD caused major system throughput degration, Redhat ES 4, U2

Ralph Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Fri Aug 18 09:16:56 CDT 2006

Are you sure you have the latest release of mpich2.  I ask this
because a long time ago there was a bug in mpd that caused excessive
checking of sockets in the main loop.

I logged in to each of 3 machines running:
     Debian Linux
     Fedora Core 5
     Mac OS X
I was the only user on each machine and each initially had:
     load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

On every host I ran the same job (that took at least 124 seconds
depending on the platform).  I ran the job several times, both with
and without MPD running.  The time never varied by no more than
0.1 second on a single platform.

--ralph