[MPICH] Passing class in C++ MPI

John Robinson jr at vertica.com
Thu Apr 20 19:36:32 CDT 2006

Hi Pankaj,

In my project we have had much success using the boost::serialization
extensions to ths C++ stdlib.  See www.boost.org.

The library comeas already prepared to serialize any containers in
std::, and has straightforward ways to write serializers for your own
classes.  The serialized output goes into a stream, and can be one of
printable text, binary, or xml.  It understands about tracing pointers
(and sending along the pointed-to object), and resolves multiple
pointers to the same object.  All gets reinstantiated on the receiving
side into a class, and so all the methods on that class are of course
available.

We use this approach both to pass classes over MPI connections and to
save and restore objects from disk.

/jr
---