[MPICH] Debugging MPICH2 apps on Windows

Calin Iaru calin at dolphinics.no
Wed Apr 5 10:50:16 CDT 2006

Hi all,

    I have recently encountered some problems debugging MPICH2
applications. There are a number of ways that parallel debugging can be
enabled:
    - run as a standalone process via setpmi.bat as described in
mpich2-doc-windev.pdf
    - run wmpiconfigure.wsf  --enable-debugger and define
HAVE_DEBUGGER_SUPPORT
    - start each process with mpiexec and have a debugger triggered from
"Image File Execution Options" registry entry at process startup
All of the above fail. The first one fails even though the two daemons
are able to communicate. I will look into it.
The second one fails because dbginit.c is not compiled, and is not added
to the solution by wmpiconfigure.wsf script
The third one, which I use often, does not create a window station so
the debugger is useless. Maybe, in the future, a Windows switch can be
passes to mpiexec so that smpd can have the opportunity to create a
process in a desktop context: OpenWindowStation,
SetProcessWindowStation, etc

Best regards,
    Calin