[MPICH] MPICH2 startup w/ PBS

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Tue Apr 4 08:39:34 CDT 2006

Good morning,

   I hate to bother everyone early in the morning, but I'm
looking for some advice on MPICH2 startup. I've been starting
an mpd on each node in the cluster via,

mpdboot -n 25 -f /home/jlayton/mpd.hosts

where the file mpd.hosts contains a list of all possible hosts.
So I'm basically starting mpd on every node. Then I run the
code using mpiexec

mpiexec -machinefile ${PBS_NODEFILE} -n ${NP} ./${EXE}

and run mpdallexit after the code is finished to stop all of the
mpds. Notice that I'm using PBS for queuing/scheduling.
   This is something of a pain, because we lose nodes for
various projects or training so I'm constantly having to go into
the list of hosts and edit it. I also have to change the count on
the mpdboot command.
   Is there a better way to start up MPICH2 codes using PBS?

Thanks!

Jeff