[MPICH] installing on sun. config.log attached

Karl Schleicher karl at appliedgeo.com
Wed Sep 28 11:31:37 CDT 2005

Rusty or Rajeev,
I am working on installing Python.  I am still stuck with my original
problem that configure is failing much earlier.

I'm trying to install mpi on a cluster of Sun enterprise systems. I want
to use several of our compute servers to solve one problem.

The steps I followed are:
 ftp release to my computer
gunzip -c mpich2-1.0.2p1.tar.gz | tar -xovf -
cd mpich2-1.0.2p1
./configure |& tee configure.log

Configure fails  with the log:

Configuring MPICH2 version 1.0.2
sourcing /home/karl/mpi/mpich2-1.0.2p1/src/pm/mpd/setup_pm
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... cc
cat: cannot open confdefs.h
checking for C compiler default output file name... Can't
open conftest.c
See `config.log' for more details.

I enterred "uname -a" to get:
SunOS m00 5.6 Generic_105181-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

I have tried working on other systems to understand the problem, but they are tangents.  I followed Rajeev suggestions to set environment variables, rerun the tar extraction, test the c compiler.

Thanks in advance,

Karl Schleicher
Applied Geophysical Services