[MPICH] MPICH2 BUG: SEEK_SET, etc.

James Frye frye at cs.unr.edu
Mon Sep 26 04:35:11 CDT 2005

Hi,

There seems to be a fairly major problem problem with the MPICH2 C++
compiler, which is breaking a lot of our code.  The problem is the we get
a error messages that SEEK_SET, SEEK_CUR, and SEEK_END are defined - which
of course they are in stdio.h, and need to be so that we can do binary
file I/O.  But your compiler says that they must not be for the C++
binding.

This is odd for several reasons.  First, since the binary file I/O is a
fundamental part of the C I/O library, overriding its definitions seems at
best lacking in forethought.  Second, most of the source files that refuse
to compile because of this error message make no reference to any MPI
calls.  Finally, we aren't even using the C++ binding.

So how do we fix this without re-writing major parts of our code?

Thanks,
James