[MPICH] Machine with multiple IP addresses

David Ashton ashton at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 21 16:33:26 CDT 2005

Sophie Duchesne,

>From the limited information given, this appears to be an error on a Windows
machine using MPICH 1.2.5.  We recommend all users to use the current
project, MPICH2, instead of MPICH.  You can get it here:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2

Try compiling with MPICH2 and see if this solves your problem.

If there still is an error there are several ways to select a specific
network interface.  You can use the MPICH_NETMASK environment variable to
mask off a range of IP addresses you want to use or you can use the
MPICH_INTERFACE_HOSTNAME environment variable to specify a specific IP
address.  You can also set the interface hostname through a machine file by
adding -ifhn x.x.x.x to each line after the host name.

Examples:

mpiexec -env MPICH_NETMASK 192.168.123.0/24 -n 3 myapp.exe

mpiexec -env MPICH_INTERFACE_HOSTNAME 192.168.123.101 -host foo -n 1 myapp :
-env MPICH_INTERFACE_HOSTNAME 192.168.123.102 -host bar -n 1 myapp : .

If you have to use MPICH 1.2.5, please read the manual that comes with it to
see how to select a specific IP address.

-David Ashton

  _____