[MPICH] Question about MPICH2 on a single machine

Zaiwen Wen zw2109 at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 23 15:19:40 CST 2005

Recently, I'm installing MPICH2 on a single machine and have tried two
versions:

1. --with-pm=mpd

When I try "make testing", the following error occured:

mpdrun_dyn-128-59-150-217.dyn.columbia.edu: cannot connect to local mpd
(/tmp/mpd2.console_wenzw); possible causes:
   1. no mpd is running on this host
   2. an mpd is running but was started without a "console" (-n option)

Anyway, if I start "mpd&" first, and then "make testing", it can not find
the host.

Question: How can I configure it to run on a single manchine?

2. --with-pm=gforker

My configuration is:

/home/code/mpich/mpich2-1.0.2p1/configure 2>&1 -prefix=/opt/mpich2/
--with-pm=gforker  | tee configure.log

After installation,  directory "bin" contains the following files:

clog2_print  mpicc  mpich2version  mpicxx  mpiexec  mpif77  mpif90

When I try "make testing", it prompted that all 354 tests passed!

I can not find " mpirun". Is the installation right? Anyway, some
applications need "mpirun", how can I solve this problem?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Zaiwen