[MPICH] Questions about the smpd service under windows

Rabih CHAAR rabih.el-chaar at polytechnique.org
Thu Nov 17 09:43:17 CST 2005

Hello everyone,
i was using the nt-mpich developped by rwth-aachen and decided to
switch for the mpich2 version, since the latter supports better
several
processes running in parallel under the same machine (RWTH had a
imitation to 10 processes per machine).

However, i would like to have more informations concerning the
submission of jobs and user authentification.

In the RWTH version, an mpiexec executable worked joinly with a remore
cluster manager (here it is rcluma).

The differences that i spotted are the following :
The RWTH version permitted to register several accounts to be used by
rcluma.
MPICH2 stores only one account for smpd.

a user alpha on my machine doesn't have administrative rights, but
have
the right to exeute ex1.exe for example.

I am logged under administrative mode, and i would like to submit a
mpiexec with job with alpha rights to launch ex1.exe.

Are there some limitations in smpd.exe for doing so ?
The several tests that i've done seem to point in this direction : The
mpiexec -validate gives failure.
After giving administrative rights to alpha, the job was launched
correctly.

The rwth mpiexec version had the ability to load different accounts
(and not only one), and this was really useful for limiting the jobs
that a user could launch.

Why the scheme adapted by mpiexec under MPICH2 is different ? Is there
a project to support this different approach (multiple accounts).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely

--
Rabih CHAAR