[MPICH] Q: Compiling MPICH2-1.0.2 with ch3:ssm with PGI compilers?

Brian Dobbins bdobbins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:37:40 CDT 2005

Hi guys,

  I'm not too familiar with the internals of MPICH2 at the moment, so
I thought I'd ask the list for the proper solution to the problem I'm
facing.  I am trying to compile MPICH2 (1.0.2) for use on an x86-64
cluster with ch3:ssm using the PGI 6.0 compilers.  When I execute the
make command, the compiler quickly bombs out saying:

PGC-F-0249-#error --  *** No atomic memory operation specified to
implement busy locks *** (./mpidu_process_locks.h: 234)
PGC/x86-64 Linux/x86-64 6.0-4: compilation aborted

  .. Looking at mpidu_process_locks.h, I can see that it's hitting
this because "HAVE_COMPARE_AND_SWAP" fails, whereas for the
GCC/x86-64ASM combination it succeeds.  This is set in the GCC case by
the bit of code after the #ifdef HAVE_GCC_AND_X86_64_ASM, so is it
possible to also define a "HAVE_PGI_AND_X86_64_ASM" that will execute
the same code as the GCC bit?  Or is there a better approach?

  (I don't know off hand how PGI handles assembler code, so I'll
probably cross-post some of this question to the boards on their
website... any advice would be great, though!)

  Thanks very much,
  - Brian