[MPICH] Master tied to one node

Ralph M. Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:10:03 CDT 2005

Hi Alok:

I will make some assumtions about how you are testing:
    1.  mpich2 (instead of mpich1)
    2.  on unix/linux
    3.  mpd as the process manager
    4.  mpiexec for running jobs

The help msg from mpiexec (mpiexec -h  or  mpiexec --help) offers
a couple of options depending on your needs.

For example, if you just want to get rank 0 off the local node where
you are running mpiexec, you can use the -1 option (that's a one and not
a lower case l).
Using a ring of three mpd's on my cluster nodes named bp400, bp401, and
bp402, I tried this:
    (bp400:95) % mpiexec.py -n 1 hostname
    bp400
    (bp400:96) % mpiexec.py -1 -n 1 hostname
    bp401

However, if you want to run rank 0 on a particular host, the help
message shows us this example:
    mpiexec -n 1 -host foo master : -n 4 -host mysmp slave
So, I decided to try forcing it to bp402:
    (bp400:97) % mpiexec.py -n 1 -host bp402 hostname
    bp402

I hope you find this helpful.
--ralph