[MPICH] minor problem with mpif.h with gfortran-4.0 gcc-4.0

Kamaraju Kusumanchi kamaraju at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:35:09 CDT 2005

May be this is just me doing something stupid and I hope others will
correct me if that is the case. I compiled mpich2 1.0.2 using gcc-4.0,
gfortran-4.0 on Debian Sid using the --enable-f90 option.

The compilation went fine. But when I tried to run a hello world
program, I got the following errors.

$mpif90 hello_world2.f90
 In file mpif.h:1

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

C      /* -*- Mode: Fortran; -*- */
1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:1

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

C      /* -*- Mode: Fortran; -*- */
                            1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:2

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:3

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

C      (C) 2001 by Argonne National Laboratory.
1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:4

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

C      See COPYRIGHT in top-level directory.
1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:5

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:6

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

C      DO NOT EDIT
1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:7

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

C      This file created by buildiface
1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
 In file mpif.h:8

     Included at hello_world2.f90:8

1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)

I realized that this is due to the Fortran77 style commenting in
mpif.h file. When I applied the following patch

$diff mpif.h mpif.h.original
1,8c1,8
< !      /* -*- Mode: Fortran; -*- */
< !
< !      (C) 2001 by Argonne National Laboratory.
< !      See COPYRIGHT in top-level directory.
< !
< !      DO NOT EDIT
< !      This file created by buildiface
< !
---
> C      /* -*- Mode: Fortran; -*- */
> C      (C) 2001 by Argonne National Laboratory.
> C      See COPYRIGHT in top-level directory.
> C      DO NOT EDIT
> C      This file created by buildiface

Then everything went fine. Is this a bug? If so, could it be fixed in
the future versions?

thanks
raju