[MPICH] Can't compile against mpich2 with visual c++ 6

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 07:30:34 CDT 2005

Thanks for your help.  I'm now down to 2 errors, 2 warnings, both
about MPI::Comm::Clone(void) not being defined:

  C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1390) : error C2259: 'Comm' :
cannot instantiate abstract class due to following members:
         C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1033) : see
declaration of 'Comm'
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1390) : warning C4259: 'class
MPI::Comm &__thiscall MPI::Comm::Clone(void) const' : pure virtual
function was not defined
         C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1350) : see
declaration of 'Clone'
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1390) : error C2259: 'Comm' :
cannot instantiate abstract class due to following members:
         C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1033) : see
declaration of 'Comm'
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1390) : warning C4259: 'class
MPI::Comm &__thiscall MPI::Comm::Clone(void) const' : pure virtual
function was not defined
         C:\PROGRAM FILES\MPICH2\INCLUDE\mpicxx.h(1350) : see
declaration of 'Clone'

(At the compile stage, not linking)
Which seems a bit tangled.  At the moment I can just use
#define MPICH_SKIP_MPICXX because I'm using C style bindings,
but if you want me try anything further I'd be happy to.

David Ashton wrote:
 > imalone,
 >
 > We've added support for compilers that cannot handle the Clone functions
 > correctly.  It will be available in the next release.  I've attached the
 > current version of mpicxx.h.  You would need to add "#define
 > HAVE_NO_VARIABLE_RETURN_TYPE_SUPPORT" before including mpicxx.h.
 >
 > This new header file may not work with the cxx.lib in the current
 > distribution but you can use it to see what needs to be changed in
the old
 > header file.  Simply copy the HAVE_NO_VARIABLE_RETURN_TYPE_SUPPORT
sections
 > from the new file to the old.
 >
 > -David Ashton

<snip>