[MPICH] Configure Options for Alpha Linux cluster

David LeBard david.lebard at asu.edu
Wed Aug 17 19:04:27 CDT 2005

Hi All,

I am trying to properly compile MPICH 1.2.7 for Compaq Alphas running
RedHat Linux 7.2.  Although these are alpha computers and do have shared
memory between 2 processors (ie. 2 procs/node), there is not shared
memory between all cpus.  Using the examples seen in configure's help
and google, I set my device to p4 and my architecture to alpha (or
LINUX_ALPHA, both with the same results) and when I run a test job it
fails with the following error:

0 - MPI_INIT : MPIRUN chose the wrong device ch_p4; program needs device
ch_shmem

When I choose the device it is asking for (ch_shmem), all mpi tests will
work fine but all mpi processes will sit on the same node regardless of
what the nodefile states.  I tried many times playing with the nodefile
and mpirun's options (eg. -nolocal,
-machinefile=File_With_Only_Non_Local_Nodes), but no matter what all the
processes stay on the same node.

If anyone has experience running mpich with this kind of system (cluster
of dual processors alpha linux), please share with me your configure
options.

Thanks in advance,

David LeBard
Dept of Chemistry and Biochemistry