[MPICH] MPICH2 through Windows XP firewall?

David Ashton ashton at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 17 14:17:20 CDT 2005

Ray Pelletier,

By default, all ports are required to be available.  MPI applications ask
the OS for any available port.

With the Windows firewall you can allow individual applications to be
exempted from the firewall.  You could allow smpd.exe and your user MPI
application through the firewall.  This is the easiest solution but it
requires each application to be individually exempted.

MPICH2 also allows you to restrict the ports used by MPI applications
through an environment variable: MPICH_PORT_RANGE.  Set this variable to
min,max or min..max and then the MPI applications will only use ports in
that range.  Example: mpiexec -env MPICH_PORT_RANGE 10000..11000 -n 3
cpi.exe

If you want to restrict smpd to a port range you will need to set
MPICH_PORT_RANGE in the system environment variables (smpd uses more socket
connections than just the main 8676 port).  If you go this route, make sure
8676 is in the range.

-David Ashton