[MPICH] MPICH2 on WinXP-Pro cluster

Peter Raeth (FAC) PeterRaeth at email.uophx.edu
Fri Aug 5 12:13:04 CDT 2005

This will be an elementary question for most but it has me quite
roadblocked. Having gone through the entire archive, I could find nothing on
this particular subject. Thank all in advance for their patience and
support.

An entry-level cluster is composed of two Intel WinXP-Pro computers
connected via a cross-over cable. The network is configured such that each
computer can see shared files and drives on the other machine. The printer
is shared between the two machines. Each machine can ping the other machine.
The MPICH2 installer has been run on both machines. Both machines are in the
same workgroup and one logs onto either in the same way.

When running the very basic example cpi.exe on either machine, cpi works
just fine. MPIEXEC performs as expected. However, when an attempt is made to
run across the network, MPIEXEC reports that it can not connect to the other
machine. It finds the machine but it can not connect to it. It is here that
I am stuck and would appreciate any advice.

With Linux, everything works really well. We have had no trouble and a lot
of success.

Thanks,

Peter.