[Mochi-devel] Thallium update: cereal dependency

Dorier, Matthieu mdorier at anl.gov
Thu Apr 30 10:31:37 CDT 2020

Hi all,

As you may know, Thallium can optionally use the Cereal library to deal with serialization. This option was disabled by default until now and could be enabled in spack by using the +cereal variant.
My plan is to ultimately rely only on Cereal for serialization, and deprecate Thallium’s built-in serialization engine. So from now on, the thallium package in spack will enable the +cereal variant by default. You can still disable it by specifying ~cereal when installing thallium, however I recommend that you do switch to Cereal (and tell me if you encounter any issues).

Cereal’s interface is the same as Thallium’s built-in serialization mechanism (so you won’t have to modify your code), but as a long-standing library it is better maintained and has a large community of users. It also better support some corner cases such as serialization functions for classes in a namespace, and things like polymorphism, pointer to implementation, etc.

Thanks,

Matthieu