[MOAB-dev] HDF5 CMake Troubles

Kuberry, Paul Allen pakuber at sandia.gov
Fri Nov 10 15:34:43 CST 2017

Hello,

I ran into three issues while building MOAB with CMake and my own hdf5:

1.)

   Although I had a version of hdf5 library on my PC (apt-get install ...), I was trying to get MOAB to build using CMake with the hdf5 from the one that I had built. It continued to pick up the system version, despite all of my efforts to get it not to.

I was getting messages like:

CMake Warning at test/CMakeLists.txt:129 (add_executable):
  Cannot generate a safe runtime search path for target mbcn_test because
  files in some directories may conflict with libraries in implicit
  directories:

    runtime library [libhdf5.so.7] in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu may be hidden by files in:
      /ascldap/users/pakuber/hdf5/lib

  Some of these libraries may not be found correctly.

and this was resulting in bad builds (the system version wasn't parallel).

I fixed defaulting to the system version of hdf5 by amending the line in FindHDF5_MOAB.cmake to:find_package(HDF5 COMPONENTS C HL NO_DEFAULT_PATH)

2.) After fixing the libraries, with #1 and ensuring that I get the libraries that I'm trying to use, I found that FindHDF5_MOAB.cmake was not assigning the CMake variable HDF5_INCLUDES, which caused CMake errors.

Rebuilding hdf5 with CMake, I observed that despite finding my hdf5-config.cmake, I needed to add the line:

SET( HDF5_INCLUDES "${HDF5_INCLUDE_DIR}" )

to FindHDF5_MOAB.cmake

as can be seen in the attached diff.patch file.

3.) In config/MOABConfig.cmake.in,

in line 28 and 78 @HDF5_DIR@ is used, but in config/MOABConfig.cmake.cmake,

line 28 is replaced by @HDF5_ROOT@ while line 78 remains @HDF5_DIR@, causing build errors.

This is also address in the attached patch file.

Take care,

Paul Kuberry
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 5800, Mailstop 1320